Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Butterfly Rag Quilt


I love to sew.  It is one of the ways I let my creativity show.  I also love to make things for other people, whether they are gifts for birthdays, or other occasions, or just because.  My niece Sara had a birthday party this year.  She turned seven years old.  I can remember her birth like it was yesterday.  She was then, and continues to be a beautiful, warm-hearted angel.  I have children of my own, but she has a special spot in my heart.  I do not have any girls, and girls are few and far between in our immediate family.  With so many beautiful things to make for them, when her birthday came up, I knew I was going to make her something pretty.  Pretty girls deserve pretty things.

As a sewist, I have come to love JoAnn Fabrics.  It is one of the many stores that I like to shop in for many of my crafting supplies.  They have awesome sales year round on just about everything in their store, and if you sign up to receive their newsletters and sales flyers, you will receive coupons that allow you to make your own sales as well!  This summer, during one of their awesome sales I was browsing the patterns in their store.  The patterns happened to be on sale for a dollar a piece.  Yes, a dollar.  I know, I know, a great steal!  When these offers come up I tend to buy the limit of projects that I will sometime complete.  I have many accessory patterns, patterns for dresses, curtains, purses, appliance covers, Halloween costumes, pet items, etc., from these sales. 
Owl Quilt for Scarlet Rose.

On this particular day, I found a Simplicity pattern for rag quilts that I could not pass up.  It was way too cute.  The pattern included three different quilts to make, an owl, a butterfly, and a flower.  Instantly, I knew I was going to make the owl quilt for my husband's cousin and I bought the pattern.  His cousin was having a baby girl, and she is obsessed with owls.  I made the owl and gave it to her.  She loved it.  I was proud, and surprised at the results on my first rag quilt.


I did not think immediately of the pattern when I was debating what to make Sara.  She is such a sweet girl, as I have mentioned, and I considered making her some cute outfits, but I wanted something she could have for longer than that.  Then I remembered the quilt patterns.  She is not an owl type girl.  I like the owl, and think it is rather adorable, but Sara . . . . Sara is a butterfly type girl.  And she loves purple.  And black.  So I decided that Sara was going to have a purple and black butterfly quilt. 

 
Butterfly Quilt for Sara's Birthday.  Simplicity pattern.

While I was making it,  my youngest son Roman, was certain I was making it for him.  His favorite colors are also purple and black, and whereas someday he will probably be mad at me for letting the world know; currently he is a butterfly type of kid.  No worries, butterflies are super cool.  We visited the butterfly hatching at Fredrick Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, Michigan this spring (notice the picture of me in my initial blog post).  Butterflies are indeed cool, whether you like them because they are graceful and pretty, or because they are downright creepy looking up close and personal!  

Close up of the detail in Sara's Butterfly quilt.
I finished the quilt.  It turned out terribly cool, despite the errors I made.  And there are a few.  I wont point them out, but if you look you can find them.  I know they are there, and I am not to particularly disappointed in that fact.  I know it is a one of a kind gift, given to a one of a kind girl, and that smile was enough to make my heart melt, as always.  I was glad that she liked it.  I think if I were to make it again, I would add some antennae.  Just because antennae are cool and creepy!






No comments:

Post a Comment